The Healing Power of Acupuncture
The use of acupuncture is an ancient traditional form of healing involving the stimulation of specific acupuncture points along these specific energy meridians or channels. These acupuncture points are likened to the circuit breakers in your house that flip when the circuit is overloaded. When the acupuncture meridians go out of balance due to diet, weather, or emotions they can short circuit and create an imbalance in these acupuncture energy systems. Surprisingly, although needles are used in acupuncture, treatments are relatively pain-free. In fact, one of the most popular uses of acupuncture is to reduce chronic pain throughout the body in a natural way, without the need for medications that can cause unwanted side effects.
Acupuncture Benefits Headaches and Migraines
My first experience with acupuncture as a clinician was my year in a clinical rotation at the naturopathic teaching clinic. One of my first patients – a 22-year-old female – had suffered from headaches for many years and her medical doctor tried everything and nothing worked. Finally, he encouraged her to try acupuncture. First, I was so impressed that he made that recommendation. Second, this could have felt like a lot of pressure to make sure I got it right. But I was ready for the challenge. She visited the clinic over a course of 5 treatments but by the third acupuncture sessions, she could not believe how great she felt. She went from having pain daily to almost none at all. I will never forget that experience.
Acupuncture Edmonton – SMRT Health Centre – Natural Health Clinic Edmonton
14256 23 Avenue SW Edmonton, AB T6R 3B9
What Is Acupuncture Able to Treat?
The most commonly seen reasons we at SMRT Health use acupuncture:
Hormonal imbalances – PMS, Hot flashes
Insomnia and sleep issues
Chronic back problems and pain
Headaches, including reducing the frequency and intensity of migraines
What to expect
Your First Visit
- First, we will undergo a thorough examination to determine the health concerns. The exam will include a detailed health history and physical exam. We will discuss your health concerns and health-related goals.
- Then we will usually look at your tongue to see if there is anything noticeable contributing to an imbalance.
- We use sterile, disposable small needles and will place them along specific points on the body.
- The needles will usually stay in for a short period of time – 30 minutes.
- After the needles are removed, the patient can go about their day and are usually advised to drink plenty of water in an effort to help the detoxifying process.
- The acupuncture session is half an hour long and it is recommended to wear loose, comfortable clothing. The first visit will take 45-60 minutes.
Your Second Visit
We will discuss any findings from the last treatment. At that point, we will review any recommendations or other modalities of treatment. The second visit will range from 30-60 minutes.
Once beginning acupuncture care, a typical visit to our office takes approximately 60 minutes. The frequency of visits depends on what is being treated but can range from once a week to once a month.