Delectable Blueberry Delights!
Sweet and slightly tart, blueberries are a refreshing fruity treat in the heat of summer. What’s even better is that blueberries have been proven to help maintain and boost bone strength, mental health, and blood pressure. Blueberries can even help protect against heart disease and certain cancers! Join us below as we talk about Delectable Blueberry Delights.
Blueberries and Nutrients Galore!
Let’s take a moment to get “technical” about blueberries. While we mostly know them as a delicious round bite of fruit, blueberries are a little bit more than that. They’re full of anthocyanin – a natural antioxidant that gives blueberries a majority of their nutritious benefits.
That’s not all they’re full of though! They’re also rich in such nutrients as iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K, vitamin C, and zinc! Not to mention fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6.
But what do all of these nutrients packed into such a tiny package do for you and your health? Below are just a few examples of what blueberries can do for you!
- Collagen is the skin’s support system and little supports collagen as well as Vitamin C. One cup of blueberries can provide up to 24% of your daily Vitamin C intake, which also boosts your collagen. Together, they work to help enhance your skin texture, prevent skin damage from things such as the sun, and help smooth out wrinkles in your skin.
Lower Blood Pressure
- Blueberries are sodium free so they won’t increase your sodium intake and can even help maintain or reduce blood pressure.
Heart Disease Protection
- Everything in a blueberry – the fiber, the vitamin C, the vitamin B6, the folate, and more – all contributes to heart health. Fiber helps to reduce cholesterol in the blood; Vitamin B6 and folate prevent homocysteine build-up, which in turn prevents blood vessel and heart problems.
- The mix of vitamins and nutrients in blueberries all comes together to work as powerful antioxidants that can help protect cells against diseases. Some research suggests it may even help inhibit tumor growth and decrease inflammation in the body!
Mental Health Boost
- Some studies have shown that eating a proper serving of blueberries can help slow down cognitive decline – especially in older women! They’ve even been shown to help improve short term memory and motor coordination.
- Due to the high fiber content of blueberries, they’re excellent as helping prevent constipation. Dietary fiber, such as the fiber in blueberries, has also been linked to weight loss and weight management.
One important thing to note is that blueberries are high in Vitamin K. If you are taking any kind of blood thinners, consult your doctor before you increase or add blueberries to your diet as Vitamin K is important to blood clotting and could affect your blood-thinning medication.
Time to eat Delectable Blueberry Delights!
Today we’re making muffins! More specifically, we’re making gluten-free and dairy-free Cinnamon Apple Blueberry Muffins!
Muffins aren’t always the healthiest option, but with our modifications, these muffins are at least a bit healthier than the ones you get at the store – and they’re tasty to boot!
CINNAMON APPLE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup of unsweetened soy milk (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup unpasteurized honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat gluten free flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (if frozen, do not thaw)
- 1 apple, cored, peeled, and diced
- Heat oven to 400℉. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray or line muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- In small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside for later.
- In large bowl, beat milk, coconut oil, honey, and egg together. Stir in flours, baking powder, and salt – only stir until flours are moistened.
- Gently fold in blueberries and apple pieces.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (fill about ⅔ of the way full).
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture on top of unbaked muffins.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Enjoy a delicious fruit-packed treat!
DELECTABLE BLUEBERRIES ABOUND!
Now, the above recipe may be delicious, but there’s a myriad of other things you can put blueberries in to enjoy them throughout your summer.
- Check out these Vegan Blueberry Coconut Popsicles for those hot summer days!
- Want to satisfy your sugar cravings with something delicious and good for you? Why not try this amazing Blueberries and Creme recipe!
- Ever wanted to try your hand at ice cream making? Now’s your chance with this flavourful Blueberry Ice Cream recipe!
- Jam? Yes please! This easy 3-ingredient Blueberry Chia Jam will satisfy all your morning sweetness cravings!
- For a light and breezy summer entree, why not try out these Lemon-Herb Chicken Skewers with Blueberry-Balsamic Salsa?
Those are just a few ideas! There’s so many things you can make with blueberries – throw it on your oatmeal, in your yogurt or smoothie, or just eat them plain. No matter what, you’re sure to be getting delectable blueberry delight packed full of nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants – and there’s nothing better than that!